Thursday, September 30, 2004

Some news is good news

I love picking up the newspaper and being treated to good news for a change. Like today, when it's being reported that Russia is going to ratify the Kyoto Accords. I don't care if you're bored by the news or by politics, this is COOL.
Literally, as it means we can look forward to a lot less global warming. Sure the world's biggest polluter (our esteemed neighbours to the south) still refuse to sign, but so what? It's looking more and more like they enjoy being on the wrong side of the issues. If they want to keep isolating themselves and alienating the rest of us, that's just peachy keen jelly bean.
Besides, how cool and liberal does Canada look by comparison? Even my endearingly backward province has just legalized gay marriage. How's your progressive? As far as I'm concerned America can just keep on making us look better and better. (Because we are.)
Today's been a pretty nice day overall, even good world news aside. On the smaller scale, I got about 7 hours of sleep, followed by a fresh batch of groceries. Grocery shopping is a detestable chore but the end result is definitely worth the hassle. Especially when it includes 2 bite brownies that I'm sure are good for me emotionally, if not physically.
After supper I finally got to indulge myself in a little Joey time, which had been greatly missed during my week long quarantine. This would have been more enjoyable had it been just the two of us, but we had choice company in the form of Melissa. Of all Joey's friends, she is not only the least vile but also the most excellent. (With the possible exception of Christina, who is in a special category all her own.) Much bonding took place in the way of school reminiscing and ex-prof bashing. Also I was presented with the rare opportunity to offer valid relationship advise, and observe the immediate after effects.
I'm pleased to say both parties are doing very well. My advise was actually given off the cuff in that I didn't even realize I was giving it, merely making an observation. Still I was rewarded with a nice thank you afterwards. As I said, Melissa is choice company.
Joey-time was lovely, although it will undoubtedly be better once I am rested and fully recovered. Making my day all the better is the fact that rest and relaxation is only five hours away. A five day weekend should be the perfect cure all.
Going home to visit Ma and Pa is an option for at least two of these days, but not one that I think I'll take. After being ill for so long travel is probably not a good idea. Sleeping and vegging, then repeating, sounds like a much better plan. Besides, I need some love and affection, and not the kind you get from a visit to your parents.
I hate to finish off with a piece of bad news, but something worse than Trading Spouces has happened to television. I learned today that Golden Girls, the comedic staple that first introduced me to the word slut at the tender age of 12, has been taken off Prime and replaced with vapid Hollywood entertainment blather. The idiot box has just gotten a whole lot more so, another sign that tv is a medium on it's last legs. Our only hope rests in quality blogs that can inform and educate todays youth of the glories of television past.
Picture it, Sicily, 1992...
No wait, I guess I can't.
~Attila

1 comment:

lucifuge said...

WHAT?
WHAT?
WHAT?
WHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATTTTTT?????
golden girls is being taken off prime?
this won't do.
i don't even have cable and this won't do.
what the fuck will i do next time i visit home?
ma and pa got rid of prime at the cottage in favour of some dumb home and garden channel and i almost spit in their faces.
i moped the whole time.
i hate mindless design shows. some are ok, but not most.
save the golden girls.
retire them to my dvd rack.
release the seasons for $19.99 each in Canadian dollars.
bring the slut back. bring the clueless dork back. bring the curmudgeon back, and finally: bring back the nasty story-telling elf.
please do it now. please do it fast.