Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Cannibalism and the Dick vs Chump Debate

My excitement today knows no bounds. For the first time in at least three years I have a new favourite movie! I know most people have probably seen this long ago but today was the first time I watched Soylent Green. I loved it! Even though In The Soire called half way through and asked me if I’d figured out that ‘it’s made of people’ yet. Thanks for spoiling the fun Soire! Actually I’m surprised I’d never caught the many obvious cultural references to this before. I almost feel as lame as those cave dwellers who don’t know that Darth Vader is Luke’s father. (Sorry to ruin the fun for you Neanderthals out there.)
A quick Google search informs me that I’ve missed SG references on Family Guy, the Simpsons, and Buffy to name a few. How sad! These are some of my favourite shows and apparently I’ve been paying only minimal attention to them for years. Lord knows how many jokes I’ve missed by now.
Anyway, I absolutely loved Soylent Green and can’t wait to buy the DVD. After watching that with Bri I went downtown to watch Alfie with Joey, Crystal, and Heather. Can’t say that there’s anything bad about watching Jude Law look sexy and flirty for two hours. Fully worth the price of admission. Aside from that the movie decent, but nothing to rave on about. (See SG)
Movies aside, Bri and I also went to see an apartment today that’s three houses down from Joey’s. It was kind of smallish, but redeemed by the reasonable rent, free heat, pine floors and wicked back deck. So pumped about the deck, I want this place bad just for that. It’ll be a little cramped at first but we realized that it will force us to edit out all the crap we keep around and never use. Not that I want to be a minimalist all of the sudden, but I’d love to have a nice uncluttered apartment. Only the bare essentials and some tasteful decorations and personal stuff. No bloody knickknacks. God damn how I hate them.
Ever go into someone’s house and find every available surface crammed with hideous glass figurines and cracked out collectables? How can anybody live with this shit? Do they put aside four hours a day just to dust? Either my allergies would kill me or I’d kill myself if I lived like that.
Bri wants us to go and look at a place in the north end tomorrow. I don’t have high hopes for it as the rent is suspiciously low, and the neighbourhood isn’t the safest feeling in town. Despite being a little on the small side the place we looked at today had a really comfortable feel to it. I’d be happier if the rent was lower but it is within our preferred price range, if only by about ten bucks. Mind you if the north end apartment turns out to be fantastic and at the southern end of the street, I’ll sign for it in a heartbeat.
Before we can move we’re going to have to sort out the December rent situation with G. He thinks it’s only fair that we pay the whole month’s rent since we only gave him three weeks notice. Personally I can’t afford that and think that since we outnumber him two to one, it’s not all that fair that we’re the ones moving in the first place. I’m excited to move to a place with free heat though, so I don’t actually mind. I have no problem with paying half a month’s rent, but anything more seems unreasonable to me. Add in rent at the new place, damage deposit, and moving fees and it doesn’t look like anyone’s getting Christmas gifts this year. Unfortunately I also find myself sympathizing with G as we’re leaving him with no roommates on short notice. Looks like the three of us are going to have to sit down for a serious discussion on this, which should be an absolute joy.
I’m open to suggestions on how to resolve this. I don’t want to come out of this looking like a dick, but I also don’t want to end up being a chump.
~Attila

1 comment:

lucifuge said...

j'ai un bon idee, que sont juste, je pense. poser le question et ecoutez moi. (et donner moi, donner moi l'oxygene!)